4 counties peer to peer
OhioCAN Peer to Peer support focuses on individuals in recovery as well as families. We honor all paths to recovery. We meet up and are overseen by a trained peer support specialist to talk with one another about their experiences, struggles and challenges. OhioCAN Peer to Peer becomes an anchor for them as they recover and develop skills to live more effectively in their communities. A peer support group is a freeing experience, as these individuals realize “I am not alone,” and hope and trust grow between them.
WHY OhioCAN Peer to Peer?
- There are many benefits to peer support groups:
- When someone doesn't know many - or any - other people who are going through what he is coping with, he can feel isolated and stigmatized. OhioCAN Peer to Peer helps people feel less alone and more understood.
- OhioCAN Peer to Peer empowers people to work to solve their own problems.
- Members can share information, keeping one another up to date on news of interest to them.
- Among people who are experiencing similar problems, there is a unique emotional identification that is different from the type of support that can be gotten from professionals.
- Members act as role models for each other. Seeing others who are contending with the same adversity and making progress in their lives is inspiring and encouraging.
- OhioCAN Peer to Peer is a safe place for someone who needs to talk about intensely personal issues, experiences, struggles, and thoughts.
- Talking to a counselor or doctor can be very intimidating for some people, because those relationships tend to place more power with the professional. In a support group, members are equals; this can make people feel much more comfortable opening up about their problems.
- Talking to others reduces anxiety, improves self-esteem, and helps members' sense of well-being overall.